Eastern Oregon Museum
By Mary Rider
Instrumental in forming the Eastern Oregon
Museum was the Elkhorn Grange No. 208 annual Hobby and Antique Show
which was so successful it demonstrated the volume of items that
needed preservation, and resulted in formation of the Association
that founded the Eastern Oregon Museum in 1958-1959.
First officers were Amos Creger, Albert Fisher and Lowell Chandler. Various members of the community are members of the Eastern Oregon Museum. The Museum is located in the former Haines High School Gymnasium, 610 Third St, Haines, Oregon, which was turned over by the Baker School District to the City of Haines, on April 9, 1959 for use as a museum. The communities of Haines and North Powder have donated items and there are displays of logging and mining, cowboy memorabilia and ranching, a black smith shop, house wares, period clothing, antique dolls and toys. The back bar from the mining town of Bourne, southwest of Sumpter, the Geiser Grand Hotel's first hand crank elevator-an Otis number 5, a general store and the Bank of Haines are but a few of the exhibits with which children may interact.
With over 10,000 items in total parents can help children to feel and experience what it was like to be a pioneer. A one-room schoolhouse provides insight into early education in the valley as well as information on the various small country schools that have been swallowed up by larger systems.
The historic archives are available to the public for viewing at the Museum. Copies may be made of the many family genealogies and the extensive collection of other documents detailing valley history. For many years the Museum was called 'Granny's Attic' because of the crowd of artifacts. In 1997, a carriage wing was added for better display of the carriages, the black smith shop and cowboy bunk house. The oldest wooden commercial building in Baker County, a railroad depot is open for viewing. Complementing the Museum are the oldest residence in Baker County, the mail drop, and the mine located in the 1800's Park along Highway 30. The informal atmosphere of the Museum contributes to the fun and provides a youth friendly atmosphere.
For information write to 14514 Muddy Creek Lane, Haines, Oregon 97833 or call 541-856-3424. Current members are willing to help serve you. The Eastern Oregon Museum is open from mid May to Mid September from 9:30 to 4:30 or by appointment.